Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A jelly roll & a cupcake...

Well, it's February and once again...slacking on the blog! Argh! So frustrating and no excuses really.  I've thought updating several times and then I just never do it.  Must. Get. Better! I'll have to set a reminder on my calendar! 

I have, at least, been a little crafty! And I tried a couple new recipes that I liked...and didn't like!  Since it's February and we are approaching Valentine's Day, I decided to do "14 Days of Valentines" for my hubby.  Little gifts, either handmade or store bought things...I started creative and then I just started buying stuff...Strawberry Crush for "I've got a crush on you"...or Reese's Bits for "You have a piece of my heart", etc... I did make him coupons for back rubs or date nights and what not but my favorite gift for him was a pillow cover made by moi!  I was really excited for that as I have had that idea for several weeks now and I finally executed it..January 31! Nothing like waiting for the last minute, haha!  It's an envelope pillow case so you can remove the cover to wash or switch it out or whatever you decide... and I love the fabric! 


 Not too shabby! 
I also decided I - FINALLY - wanted to attempt a sashay scarf.  I ended up making two with one skein of yarn.  They aren't difficult at all but the yarn is a beast to work with.  I would make them only for gifts as they really aren't my style.  The first one I made was a longer one and the second was much shorter. But two scarves from one skein is not a bad deal!

To make the scarf, I followed a no-crochet crochet tutorial I found on YouTube. If you are interested, you can follow the video here.

ANOTHER project I'm working..been working on...is a baby blanket, pattern courtesy of Project Linus. I don't know if I'll ever get this blanket finished but as I'm considering giving it for a gift, I need to get butt in gear! (This is a bit of an older picture I'm posting, I've got several more rows done than what is currently shown.)





This season, we have had more snow that I can really ever remember...44 inches total - SO FAR! And we are supposed to get a couple more this weekend!  As an adult, I can't remember a winter like this in a very long time. I'm completely ready for spring!  Being stuck indoors for the majority of the time, I broke out the sewing machine.  I've been wanting to make a jelly roll quilt for awhile so when I got home from work last Friday, I got my jelly roll (pre-cut fabric strips) out and went to town.  My boss sent me a link to a video to watch so I just followed that to make the quilt.  I must say that I'm really impressed with myself that I was able to make the quilt by myself and didn't really have any issues. (The video says it's a 45 minute quilt top but it took me 5 hrs!)

I've also been on a healthy "kick", working out and eating right. I need to lose about 10 more pounds to meet my first weight loss goal and I think this is such a difficult 10 to lost.  I'm at a plateau and it's really frustrating watch other people lose weight either on the scale or via a tape measure. I don't feel like I'm moving..and if I move, it's in the wrong direction!  Today, I had a talk with myself to stop being "bad" and quit with the excuses - I have the time to work out, I know I should lay off the carbs at dinner. So, I found a crazy workout and Pinterest today did it. By doing a mash up of several exercises, I felt really good even if I thought I was going to die.  But it's all about the results.  I have only 5 weeks to lose the 10 lbs. I need to push myself harder. Every day.  No excuses! 

No comments:

Post a Comment